Monday, March 8, 2010

Write back soon!



The semester started out with a round of applause in one class when I told them that I had received their pen pal letters. (The letters came about a month ago, but we were on break for Spring Festival). It seems their pen pals were just as excited to get my students' letters. One American student wrote, "I was happy to get your letter ☺. My day wasn’t starting out so well so it was a good cheering up.”

My students wrote their return letters today. Mostly, I instructed them to write about school life in China. It's a striking contrast to the typical American student's. First, students at my school start the day at 6:20 a.m. for outdoor morning exercise. Then they have a period of self-study before breakfast, and class starts at 8:15 a.m. The last class -- the eighth of the day -- ends at 4:50 p.m. But there's more classroom time after dinner. From 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. the students have more self-study classes, broken up by a 15-minute eye exercise break. Sometimes I am already in bed when I hear their final bell ring. Then it's the same thing all over again the next day and the next day, every day of the week. The students' only break is a few hours Sunday afternoon.

This schedule makes it hard for students to get in trouble. Nearly every minute is accounted for. Unfortunately, there is very little room for extra-curricular activities. I think Americans put much more emphasis on our sports teams and music lessons and art and drama classes. But there's simply no time for such activities for Chinese students. The American students, my students think, are living the good life over there.

3 comments:

  1. Jolie, So do you think this schedule really keeps these teens out of trouble? What about their suicide rate? It is hard to believe that teens would not rebel big time under these conditions. Maybe US teens have too much time on their hands, although the ones I know are involved in art, theatre, sports and service work. Very interesting information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stated that the school schedule keeps students out of trouble. This is the reason that other teachers have given me for the rigorous schedule. I agree that the schedule keeps students out of criminal trouble, like doing drugs or joining gangs. There are simply too many eyes on them. But you make a good point, bashful: It doesn't keep the kids out of trouble when it comes to depression, anxiety, being at risk for suicide. The schedule only puts the students at real psychological risk. There are no guidance counselors or anything like that here. The head teacher of each class is kind of like the parent of these students, but with 60-plus students in a class, I can imagine it's difficult to keep a watchful eye on everyone. It would be interesting to look at how this template for Chinese education affects students' psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it would. My concern has always been with the psyche of my asian students in the united states because of this template of the importance of education that has been created. Many of my students find me an interesting breathe of fresh air when I encourage them to collaborate and get involved in their communities doing service work etc. They all do the serious study very well. Another great thing is they understand the importance of the family unit. Taking care of their elder etc. So, there are many wonderful things to be learned by the asian cultures. I am fortunate my son has chosen to do so. :)

    ReplyDelete