Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sing us a song

For three days and three nights, it has been raining, sometimes a light drizzle but mostly a downpour. Everything is gray. I shuffle from my apartment to the classrooms and back. There seems no point to venture beyond campus when everything looks so dismal. I have much to do, but all I end up doing is huddling in a corner of my sofa and reading.The weather has affected many of my students too. I see more heads down on desks. In all of their eyes I notice a blankness.

But this morning I discovered a sign of life. I walked into my first period class to singing -- and the back of seventy-five students' heads. They faced the back of the classroom where one half of the blackboard there was covered in Chinese characters. No one noticed me come in. When they finished the song, they turned around and saw me with a big smile, clapping. I realized that's what the day needed -- live music.

We finished the lesson with a few minutes left during class time, so I asked the students to sing the song once more, this time with the camera rolling.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea what they were singing about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolie, I just met with a professional musician who babsat Allen when Allen was 'bam bam' his words. Scottie is going into schools with his blues musicans and getting kids to sing, play instruments, learn the history of music. This is from a guy who looks narly w/ tatoos etc. He has a psych and music degree from usd and is in fact extremely bright. He is 40 the other man is Sebastian he is 26 and played soccer when Allen was 'the wall'. We are going to approach the Museum of Art to offer art, music, nature(yoga-mindfulness) to children this summer. You are RIGHT ON GIRL. Thanks for sharing. I will show the boys, even in China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Generally the song is about being a student. I don't quite understand most of the lyrics, but I'll try to get one of my students to translate the song.

    ReplyDelete