Saturday, March 27, 2010

AUDIO SLIDESHOW: To be a high school student in China is to be 'so lucky'

Shelly was one of the first students I met when I arrived. I was touched by her friendliness and willingness to show me around the school. Since that first meeting, Shelly and I have become close, even though she is not in any of my classes. We often see each other at the dining hall or during the activity period before dinner when I am running on the track. Shelly loves English and is eager to practice with me. Sometimes she comes to my house to ask me a grammar question or just to chat.

Last Sunday, we decided to enjoy the sun and sit outside on a school bench. It was a calm, quiet afternoon with most students out for the few hours that they didn't have to be in class. It was a perfect time for reflection. That afternoon the topic was what it means to be a high school student in China. So here is what Shelly told me, in her own words.

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful film. A filmmaker you may be. I loved how her words were so clear, simple and heartfelt. It is great that she appreciates how her life is. Many in this country do not. I find it hard to believe your class size is so large. You have to work very hard to connect like that with all those kiddos. Congrats Jolie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Patti! It is often difficult to connect individually with students with the classes at 60-plus. That's why I love being able to talk with students one-on-one or in small groups. It provides much more insight into what their lives are like. I especially have a soft spot for students who love to learn, whose enthusiasm for school is all over their faces. This enthusiasm fades a bit once the kids get into high school, but there are a few gems -- like Shelly -- who exude it still. I really Shelly's personality and warmth and eagerness to come through in this slideshow.

    ReplyDelete